Anyone of any gender or sexuality who has had sex, including foreplay.


Get tested for STIs, HIV and cervical cancer. Tests can be a saliva collection, mouth swab, blood test, genital swab, urine collection or cervical or 'smear' test. Read more about different STIs on this website.


If you display symptoms of an STI, as listed below, although not everyone will experience symptoms, so it's always best to get tested. 

Symptoms could be:

- pain when you pee
- itching, burning or tingling around the genitals
- blisters, sores, spots or lumps around the genitals or anus
- black powder or tiny white dots in your underwear – this could be droppings or eggs from pubic lice

Symptoms for people with a vulva:

- yellow or green vaginal discharge
- discharge that smells
- bleeding between periods or after sex
- pain during sex
- lower abdominal pain

Symptoms for people with a penis:

- discharge from the penis
- irritation of the urethra (the tube urine comes out of)

Source: NHS


If you do not have symptoms, you should still get tested every 6 months, or every time you change partner - whichever happens first. You should also get tested if your partner or a recent sexual partner has received a positive test result.


To keep yourself safe and healthy, and prevent passing anything on to your partner/s. Some STIs can cause further health problems including infertility, infections in other parts of your body or long-term health conditions.


At your local sexual health clinic, or GP surgery. You can also get tests through the post. 

- Find your local sexual health clinic through this NHS web page.

- Find local sexual health information and support services through this NHS web page.

- Find local sexual health services through Brook.

- If you're under 25, you can get a free Chlamydia testing kit posted to you through this website. They also offer testing for HIV and Syphilis. 

- If you're over 16 and live in London, you can get a test from this website.

- If none of these options are available to you, it's best to visit your GP practice.